1837 - 1910 (72 years)
The native Person Profile lists the names of all branches that the profiled person is in.
This mod hides branch names from some non-administrative users.
The exact set of branch names that are hidden from which users is determined by a mod option
See the mod options or the Wiki article for specifics.
||Ernst Wilhelm Schoelzel |
||3 May 1837
||Peilau, Reichenbach, Schlesien, Prussia [1, 2, 3, 4]
||1887 [1, 3]
|Also Known As
||William  |
||Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA 
||Soldier (Berliner Garde), laborer, newspaper carrier [3, 4, 5] |
||Suffered ill health for 22 years before his death. Death certificate indicates he died with interstitial nephritis and asthma. [1, 3] |
||Wendell Mohr list birth year as 1841 and date of death as February 20, 1909. These appear to be based on information in a letter to him from Emma Schoelzel. Peilau, Schlesien is now Piława, Walbrzyskie, Poland. Name appears on Certificate of Death as “William Ernst Schoelzel.” Name appears on his son Robert’s death certificate as “Wilhelm”.|
1920 census record for his son August gives birthplace as Schleswig.
Informant on Certificate of Death was Robert Rheinhold Schoelzel; undertaker was Frank Kummerow.
Colby Memorial Cemetery Index entry for his son August gives his name as “Tom” [1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]
||19 Feb 1910
||Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA [1, 3, 10]
||22 Feb 1910
||Waldheim Cemetery, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA [1, 3]
||26 Oct 2020 |
||Johann Gotfried Schoelzel|
b. 10 Sep 1807, Peilau, Reichenbach, Schlesien, Prussia
d. Aug 1881, Oslowo, Westpreußen, Prussia (Age 73 years)
||Susanna Helena Dinter|
b. 20 Nov 1820, Nieder Peilau Schlössel, Reichenbach, Schlesien, Prussia
d. 23 Jan 1890, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 69 years)
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Emilie Marie Peitscher|
b. 5 Nov 1845, Campani, Westpreußen, Prussia
d. 29 Aug 1896, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 50 years)
||8 Jan 1865 
- Also had twins who died in infancy. 
|+||1. August Emil Berthold Schoelzel|
b. 24 Aug 1865, Laskowitz, Westpreußen, Prussia
d. 6 Aug 1947, Colby, Clark County, Wisconsin, USA (Age 81 years)
|+||2. Rudolph Herman Albert Schoelzel|
b. 9 Sep 1868, Laskowitz, Westpreußen, Prussia
d. 23 May 1934, Alhambra, Los Angeles County, California, USA (Age 65 years)
|+||3. Robert Reinhold Schoelzel|
b. 25 Sep 1872, Grünberg, Posen, Prussia
d. 28 May 1957, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 84 years)
|+||4. Emma Emilie Schoelzel|
b. 29 Oct 1874, Grünberg, Posen, Prussia
d. 1 Nov 1954, Monterey Park, Los Angeles County, California, USA (Age 80 years)
|+||5. Karl Wilhelm Schoelzel|
b. 30 Jan 1877, Schneidemühl, Posen, Prussia
d. 5 Feb 1958, Denver, Colorado, USA (Age 81 years)
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||30 May 2005 |
|Birth - 3 May 1837 - Peilau, Reichenbach, Schlesien, Prussia
|Census - 1900 - Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
|Death - 19 Feb 1910 - Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
|Burial - 22 Feb 1910 - Waldheim Cemetery, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
|| : Address
: Not Set
- Served in the Berliner Garde in Prussia for 11 years. Served in the signal corps as a bugler during the Oestreich-German War in 1868, and in France in the Franco-Prussian war during 1870-71. Worked as a switchman on the railroad after leaving the military. Emigrated to America in 1887 with Emilie and three youngest children (August and Rudolph had emigrated earlier with their grandmother Susanna).
Worked as a paper carrier for a short time. Unemployed after about 1888. Lived at 1632 N. Leavitt St. for 2 months prior to death. Usual residence was 5007 Bertran Ave. [1, 3]
- [S282] Death Certificate of William Ernst Schoelzel.
- [S127] Illinois State Archives & Illinois State Genealogical Society, Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916.
- [S2] Elaine Schoelzel, Letter to Bradley Mohr.
- [S260] 1900 US Census - Household of William Schoelzel.
- [S9] Research notes of Wendell C. Mohr.
- [S4132] Emma Schoelzel, Letter to Wendell & Jo Ann Mohr.
- [S527] Medical Certificate of Death of Robert R. Schoelzel.
- [S324] 1920 US Census - Household of August Schoelzel.
- [S447] Robert Lipprandt, et. al., Americal Local History Network, Colby Memorial Cemetery Index.
- [S127] Illinois State Archives & Illinois State Genealogical Society, Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916, Certificate # 00016891.