Abt 1827 - 1887 (59 years)
||Johan Knuth |
||Abt Jun 1827
||Swinemünde, Pommern, Prussia [2, 3, 4]
||20 Apr 1870
||New York, New York County, New York, USA 
|Also Known As
||John  |
|Also Known As
||Wilhelm Emil  |
||Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA 
|Cause of Death
||Asthma  |
||Seaman, furniture finisher [3, 4, 7, 8] |
||According to Elaine Schoelzel (and her mother Emma Knuth Schoelzel), his name was Wilhelm Emil, but the 1880 census and emigration records list Johan. The children’s names and ages match other information about the family and Johan is listed as a seaman on the passenger list, which matches information from Nora White that he was a sailor on the ship which brought the family to America. (Nora is a descendant of Minnie Knuth.)|
Entry in the 1880 census appears on the same page as Jacob Oestmann. Jacob’s daughter Anna married Johan’s son Charles in 1875. [6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12]
||Graceland Cemetery, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA 
||9 Mar 1887
||Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA [4, 13]
||Charles E. Knuth |
||Anna Mary Oestmann (Relationship: Daughter-in-law) |
||Emma Sophia Knuth (Relationship: Grand daughter) |
||Dr. Elaine Patricia Schoelzel (Relationship: Great granddaughter) |
||26 Oct 2020 |
b. Nov 1827, Swinemünde, Pommern, Prussia
d. 12 Mar 1903, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 75 years)
- Family lived at 196 Rucker in Chicago (now Racine, near the intersection with Chicago) in 1880. Johan and Sophia may have had additional children who stayed behind in Swinemünde. 
|+||1. Ferdinand Knuth|
b. Apr 1853, Pommern, Prussia
d. 23 Mar 1902, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 48 years)
|+||2. Charles E. Knuth|
b. 22 Jan 1856, Pommern, Prussia
d. 16 Dec 1927, Denver, Colorado, USA (Age 71 years)
|+||3. Augusta Knuth|
b. 7 Jan 1859, Swinemünde, Pommern, Prussia
d. 10 Jul 1940, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 81 years)
|+||4. Minnie Knuth|
b. 3 Dec 1859, Pommern, Prussia
d. 11 Mar 1944, Norwood Park, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 84 years)
|+||5. Emelia C. Knuth|
b. 4 Sep 1862, Pommern, Prussia
d. 16 Mar 1915, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA (Age 52 years)
| ||6. Henry Knuth|
b. Sep 1865, Pommern, Prussia
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||8 Jan 2020 |
|Birth - Abt Jun 1827 - Swinemünde, Pommern, Prussia
|Immigration - 20 Apr 1870 - New York, New York County, New York, USA
|Census - 1880 - Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
|Burial - Mar 1887 - Graceland Cemetery, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
|Death - 9 Mar 1887 - Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
|| : Address
: Not Set
- Family was from Swinemünde, Pomerania, which is now Świnoujście, Poland. They departed from Hamburg on the Prinz Albert and arrived in New York on 20 April 1870. Employed at a Furniture Works in 1880. [3, 7, 8]
- [S9] Research notes of Wendell C. Mohr.
- [S200] 1880 US Census - Household of Charles Knuth.
- [S378] FamilySearch.org, citing NARA, New York Passenger Lists - Arrival of Johann Knuth family.
- [S386] Certificate of Death of Jno. Knuth.
- [S1576] Death Certificate of Emelia Wilke.
- [S2] Elaine Schoelzel, Letter to Bradley Mohr.
- [S538] 1880 US Census - Household of Johan Knuth.
- [S379] Hamburg Passenger Lists - Johan Knuth Family.
- [S4132] Emma Schoelzel, Letter to Wendell & Jo Ann Mohr.
- [S991] Elaine Schoelzel, username eschoelzel, Schoelzel Family Tree.
- [S364] Nora White, Re: Household of Henry Leutz.
- [S201] 1880 US Census - Household of Jacob Oestmann.
- [S283] Report of Death of Sophia Knuth.